Feedback and Complaints

Complaints Procedure

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily with the person concerned, often at the time they arise, and this may be the approach you try first.

Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, giving as much detail as you can, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily. In any event, this should be:

  • Within 12 months of the incident,
  • or within 12 months of you becoming aware of the matter

If you are a registered patient, you can complain about your own care. You are not normally able to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority. See the separate section on this page for what to do in this case.

We can provide you with a separate complaints form to register your complaint and this includes a third-party authority form to enable a complaint to be made by someone else. Please ask at reception for this. You can provide this in your own format providing it covers all the necessary aspects.

The practice Complaints Manager is:

Donna Giddings

Send your written complaint to:

Donna Giddings

Practice Manager

The Avenue Surgery  

14-16 The Avenue


BA12 9AA

You may also make your complaint directly to

NHS England, who commission our service:

By telephone: 03003 11 22 33

By email:

By post: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT


What We Do Next

We aim to settle complaints as soon as possible.

We will acknowledge receipt within three working days and aim to resolve the matter as soon as possible but will give you some idea of how long that may take at the outset. You will then receive a formal reply in writing. If the matter is likely to take longer than this, we will keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

When looking into a complaint, we attempt to see what happened and why, identifying learning outcomes and any possible changes that may need to be made to ensure a similar identified problem does not happen in the future. If appropriate we will enable you to discuss the issue if you wish to do so.

When the investigations are complete, a final written response will be sent to you.

The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and your right to refer the matter further to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (details shown elsewhere in this leaflet) if you remain dissatisfied with the response.


Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else

We adhere to the rules of medical and personal confidentiality. If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with their treatment and providing consent for the Complaints Manager to discuss their problem / complaint with someone else. In the event the patient is deceased, then we may agree to respond to a family member or anyone acting on their behalf or who has had an interest in the welfare of the patient.

Please ask at reception for the Complaints Form, which contains a suitable authority for the patient to sign, enabling the complaint to proceed. Alternatively, we will send a form to you when we receive your initial written complaint.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness, accident, or mental capacity, it may still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the precise details of the circumstances that prevent this in your covering letter.

Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply.  Young adults, competent of making their own complaint as judged by Fraser competencies, will be encouraged to do so.

We may still need to correspond directly with the patient or may be able to deal directly with the third party. This depends on the wording of the authority

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome

You have the right to approach the
Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman.
Their contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
30 Millbank

Tel:    0345 0154033

Website: (to complain online or download a paper form). 


You may also approach PALS, Healthwatch or The Advocacy People for help or advice.

The local Healthwatch can be found at:

The Advocacy People can be contacted at:

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Tel;  0300 561 0250



Feedback and Complaints Form

This form is for feedback and suggestions to the practice only and is not meant for clinical or urgent enquiries. We aim to respond to queries within ten working days.

Please use this date format: DD/MM/YYYY.