The Avenue Surgery
TO ALL OF OUR PATIENTS
We are all very excited to hear today that there is real progress on a Covid 19 vaccine and which should eventually improve the quality of life for all of us!
We are all still struggling with the confines imposed upon us all due to the Covid-19 pandemic, however, we are now beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel.
To keep you as informed as possible, we have said we will update these messages frequently as we become aware of more information from NHS England:
- The Pfizer/BioNTech has now been approved by the British regulator (Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency) as safe to be used.
- Due to issues about having to store the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine at very low temperatures, it is most likely going to be delivered to hospitals first.
- The 2 other Covid 19 vaccines are still in development and have not yet been licensed to be used on patients in the UK – we are expecting them to be licensed very soon.
- It appears that those eligible for the vaccine will need to have two Covid-19 vaccines for them to be most effective.
- There will be some large vaccination centres and some mobile units to deliver and administer the vaccines. We do not know yet what there will be in our area.
- It’s encouraging to know, many people have volunteered to be part of the project to organise and administer these vaccines.
- It is expected that the vaccinations will not start for most people until 2021 and it will take some time to vaccinate everyone who is eligible.
Meanwhile, we all need to continue to keep the advice of washing our hands, wearing face masks and social distancing. We all look forward to the time when we will return to life as normal.
Thank you for your patience