Suggestions, Complaints and Compliments

If you have a compliment for us, please fill in the form and hand in to reception.

We thank you for taking the time to give the team at The Avenue Surgery a compliment. We really are very grateful.

 One more BIG favour…

 Any positive feedback received helps to give other patients a more balanced view of the service we provide. We would be enormously grateful if you could leave this positive feedback on our public-facing pages:

NHS Find a GPOverview - Avenue Surgery Partnership - NHS (

Google reviews –Search Avenue Surgery into Google

Facebook - 

Want to make a suggestion to the surgery?

Your comments and suggestions are important to us, please email the surgery on to make a suggestion. Please do not use this email address for complaints. If you would like to make a complaint, please use the form below.

Urgent medical matters and official complaints cannot be dealt with via this email. If you have a query regarding a medical matter please telephone reception to make an appointment to see the appropriate person.

a woman sitting at a table using a laptop computer

Making a Complaint


Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily with the person concerned, often at the time they arise, and this may be the approach you try first.


Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, giving as much detail as you can, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily. In any event, this should be:

Within 12 months of the incident,

or within 12 months of you becoming aware of the matter


If you are a registered patient, you can complain about your own care. You are not normally able to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority. See the separate section in this leaflet for what to do in this case.


Send your written complaint to:

The Practice Manager

The Avenue Surgery  

14-16 the Avenue

Warminster BA12 9AA

or via email to:


Alternatively if you can contact Bath, Swindon and Wiltshire Integrated Care Board (BSW ICB), who can be contacted by email at or by telephone on 0300 561 0250.

You may not complaint to both the surgery and the ICB


What We Do Next


We aim to settle complaints as soon as possible.


We will usually acknowledge receipt within seven working days and aim to resolve the matter as soon as possible but we will give you some idea of how long that may take at the outset. You will then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue. If the matter is likely to take longer than this, we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.


When looking into a complaint, we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you wish to do so.

When the investigations are complete, a final written response will be sent to you.


Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g., social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been initially sent to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and your right to refer the matter further to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (details shown elsewhere in this leaflet) if you remain dissatisfied with the response.



Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else


We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality.

If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with their treatment and that we can deal with someone else about it. In the event the patient is deceased, then we may agree to respond to a personal representative (executor or administrator of the deceased person’s estate)


Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness, accident, or mental capacity, it may still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the precise details of the circumstances that prevent this in your covering letter.


Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply.  You may also find that if you are complaining on behalf of a child who can make their own complaint, we will expect that child to contact us themselves to lodge their complaint.


We may still need to correspond directly with the patient or may be able to deal directly with the third party. This depends on the wording of the authority provided.



If you are dissatisfied with the outcome


You have the right to approach the
Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman.
Their contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
30 Millbank

Tel:    0345 0154033


(to complain online or download a paper form). 


You may also approach PALS, Healthwatch or the

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy for help or advice;

The local Healthwatch can be found at:

The IHCA is able to be contacted at:



The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is based

at   0300 123 2103



Want to make a complaint?

We make every effort to give the best service possible to everyone who attends our surgery.

However, we are aware that things can go wrong resulting in a patient feeling that they have a genuine cause for complaint. If this is so, we would wish for the matter to be settled as quickly, and as amicably, as possible.

To pursue a complaint please complete this form and the practice manager will deal with your concerns appropriately.